Sunday 26 October 2014

Anchor Point


Over the course of my life, my doubts and worries have set me drifting restlessly like a boat on a storm-tossed sea. My temptation is to turn every fearful thought over in my head, somehow believing that if I think it through enough, I can make it disappear. Unfortunately, even when I manage to solve one concern, another one crops up before I even have a chance to catch my breath.

This is the nature of fear. Like the constant thrash of the waves, it is merciless, snatching the peace that Christ has given to us and leaving us exhausted and battle-weary. Of course, there are times when questions and concerns must be faced squarely, but often we must make the cold and deliberate decision to fix our thoughts on God's Truth regardless of our doubts and permeable emotions.

The unshakeable reality is that my position on God's Word cannot possibly alter its certainty. However, the peace of my journey depends largely on whether I choose to anchor myself to God's reality or allow myself to be tossed by fearful fantasies.

I have an anchor point. He is more certain than anything I dream up, any emotion that tugs at my faith and any experience that leaves me questioning.

Praise God, He is a Rock unshakeable!

'The Lord on high is mightier
Than the noise of many waters,
Than the mighty waves of the sea.'
Psalm 93:4


No comments:

Post a Comment